“The soft drinks industry levy certainly had a huge impact on the behaviour of sugary drinks manufacturers – half reduced sugar in their drinks before it was introduced in April 2018, removing the equivalent of 45 million kg of sugar. Meanwhile voluntary programmes for the food industry to reduce sugar from other sugary products have not had the same success. The levy is supported by the public and welcomed by a wide range of health experts and is vitally needed as part of a package of measures to help create a healthier environment for everyone.”
- A blueprint for obesity policy – OHA launches long-term strategy project to reduce obesity
- Statement: prevention green paper
- The Government’s role in reducing obesity – what’s the public view?
- Statement: The soft drinks industry levy
- Public and health experts give green light to new PM to push on with plans to tackle obesity