The soft drinks industry levy will save money tomorrow by helping to tackle children’s obesity today. Sugary soft drinks have no nutritional value and are the single biggest contributor to a child’s sugar intake, and high consumption of sugar is one of the factors fuelling the obesity crisis. A third of children are overweight or obese by the time they leave primary school, putting them at a greater risk of serious health conditions later in life such as Type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart and liver disease and associated mental health problems. These conditions place an immense toll on our nation’s health and our already-stretched health service. The levy has huge potential help tackle obesity and save the NHS money.
- OHA Responds to the National Child Measurement Programme 2022-23
- Five Key Learnings from the OHA’s Manifesto Process
- OHA Response to Multi-Buy Promotions Delay
- “Get Behind Our Vision”. Obesity Health Alliance 2023 Parliamentary Reception
- Storing Up a Crisis: Urgent Action Needed on Childhood Obesity